Disneyland/DCA at night.
Well, you know…shit.
why would you pay someone for 26-51 weeks for doing nothing
you have a very, very odd definition of “doing nothing”.
Why would you pay someone for 26-51 weeks to care for a child (which is, as the previous comment states, in no way “doing nothing”)?
Allow me to answer that for you:
- A study of 16 European countries from 1969-1994 found that “more generous paid leave is found to reduce deaths of infants and young children”; specifically, mathematical models found that
- "a 10-week increase in paid leave is predicted to reduce infant mortality rates by between 2.5% and 3.4%,"
- "a 10-week extension [in leave] is predicted to decrease post-neonatal deaths by 3.7 to 4.5% and child fatalities by 3.3 to 3.5%," and
- "rights to a year of job-protected paid leave are associated with roughly a 20% decline in post-neonatal deaths and a 15% decrease in fatalities occurring between the first and fifth birthdays" (x)
- A more recent study again of 16 European countries plus the USA and Japan found that “a 10-week extension in job-protected paid leave is predicted to decrease infant mortality rates, post-neonatal mortality rates, and child mortality rates by 2.6%, 4.1%, and 3%, respectively” but that these effects were not found if the leave was not job-protected or paid (x)
- Women who receive paid leave are more likely to be employed, 54% more likely to report wage increases, and have a 39% lower likelihood of receiving public assistance and a 40% lower likelihood of receiving food stamps in the year after the child’s birth; men were also less likely to receive public assistance and food stamps if they received paid family leave (x)
- "Maternity leave legislation in Europe effectively increases job protection and female labour market attachment" (x)
- "An increase in leave duration is associated with a decrease in [post-partum] depressive symptoms until six months postpartum" (x)
- "Shorter maternity leave (<12 weeks) was associated with higher maternal depression, lower parental preoccupation with the infant, less knowledge of infant development, more negative impact of birth on self-esteem and marriage, and higher career centrality" (x)
- "Breastfeeding duration increased sharply, by over a month, and the proportion of mothers attaining the public health benchmark of 6 months exclusive breastfeeding increased by nearly 40% [after Canada increased the length of mandated paid maternity leave]" (x)
- "Maternity leave led to small increases in birth weight, decreases in the likelihood of a premature birth, and substantial decreases in infant mortality for children of college-educated and married mothers, who were most able to take advantage of unpaid leave [in the US]" (x)
- "Increased time with the child [due to mandated maternity leave in Norway] led to a 2.7 percentage points decline in high school dropout and a 5% increase in wages at age 30" (x)
- "Children whose mothers return to work early are less likely to receive regular medical checkups and breastfeeding in the first year of life, as well as to have all of their DPT/Oral Polio immunisations (in approximately the first 18 months of life)" and "children whose mothers return full-time within 12 weeks are more likely to have externalising behaviour problems at age 4" (x)
Does that about answer it?
So did dean
Omg I didn’t realize how much I needed this
where is the warning that says “this is irreversible”
Little 6 year old Alana sent me an invite to her party and it really touched my heart. I wanted to do something extra special so I made a scroll and mailed it to her with a rose. Her mom told me that she was so excited when it came and she took it school for “show and tell”. Before I left her party, she ran upstairs and grabbed he scroll to show me the drawing of us. <—Melting.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail Horse Action Figure.
NO BUT YOU ALL NEED TO UNDERSTAND HOW FUNNY THIS IS THEYRE LITERALLY FILLING A ROBOT WITH BULLETS, LIKE BULLETS THAT YOU FIRE FROM A GUN. NOW NORMALLY FIRING A GUN TRIGGERS THE BULLET TO EXPLODE CREATING A PRESSURE THAT CAUSES THE TIP OF THE BULLET TO BE FORCED OUT OF THE BARREL AT A HIGH SPEED.
WHaT CAVE JOHNSON’S TURRET’S DO IS LOAD A TON OF FUCKING BULLETS INTO THE CASE OF THE SENTRY LIKE IT”S A GODDAMN GUMBALL MACHINE AND THEN USE A FUcKIN SPRING LOADED PISTON TO FIRE IT THAT IS SO UNNECESSARY AND INEFFECTIVE LIKE NO WONDER CHELL CAN RESIST SO MANY BULLETS THE LIKELIHOOD ITD CAUSE ANYTHING MORE THAN A BAD BRUISE IS LIKE ONE IN A HUNDRED
that moment when your boss totally glosses over your request for a pay raise…
I see what you did there my friend.
In other related news to go to World Championships…it wasn’t even my bbys that qualified but then again networking…
this is my favorite thing
This is the Memorial to the Missing and contains over 50,000,000 pennies to represent the lives of each American child abandoned to abortion by a society and a culture that has embraced their destruction. We must prevent the need to add to this memorial. Take a stand. Get involved.
”How we treat the least of us defines us.”
"should I use this $500k to help struggling parents and pregnant people or should I put it in a glass box"
How much money have you wasted that could’ve gone to help struggling parents and pregnant women is the better question to ask.
Yeah if i was a struggling parent and I saw that “monument”, you know what I’d do? Break into that fucker and use the money to help my kid get a better life.
Clearly those “charitable” folks aren’t using it on kids that have actually been born.
A few facts that the OP neglected to mention.
a) The glass box is on the grounds of the Mississippi Baptist Convention building—right across from the Mississippi state capitol. It was placed there deliberately to remind legislators that the Baptist Church—which is very powerful in the South—is staunchly anti-abortion.
b) This wasn’t created by regular people, charitable or otherwise. It was a deliberate and high-profile project of the Convention. Using the services of a construction company that worked free of charge, they erected the glass box in 2006, putting 47 MILLION pennies in it on the day that it opened, thus creating the illusion that many, many people had contributed.
c) Once $500K was collected—back in 2008, by the way, and the photo dates back to 2007—the money was then spent by the Convention, which invested it on a permanent endowment fund for anti-abortion causes, such as assisting with the operations of crisis pregnancy centers.
d) Almost all crisis pregnancy centers are church-sponsored and evangelical in nature.
e) Most crisis pregnancy centers have ties to evangelical maternity homes, adoption lawyers, and private adoption agencies. Any crisis that a woman coming to such a center might be facing would be irrelevant; for the purposes of the center and its affiliates, it is paramount that she have the baby. Babies, especially healthy white babies, are in high demand by would-be adoptive parents, and there is a very small supply. There are horror stories about women who have been forced continue pregnancies and who have been forced to relinquish, most to evangelical families. Evangelical churches support and encourage this kind of thing. They figure that this way, they win twice over: they save lives AND they get to control how the next generation thinks.
f) So, to recap.The Baptist Church underwrites the memorial (at least the first 47 million). The funds eventually go back to the Baptist Church, which invests them in businesses that will help produce more goods—babies—for other evangelical businesses, such as adoption agencies and adoption lawyers, AND that will create more religious and political support in the future.
This is NOT a memorial created by heartbroken people, OP. It’s big business.
Reblogging for new info!
This is very important to sign. Instant search results affirm that we aren’t the only ones searching for a term. The word ‘bisexual’ is blocked, and despite over 40 million results, people think there must not be anything or anyone else out there unless they type in the whole word and press enter.
Imagine being a young bi person searching for support or resources. You may be afraid of the word “bisexual” lingering in your search history, so if you see no instant search results you’re less likely to risk hitting enter. Especially when you see tons of suggestions pop up for gay, lesbian, transgender, and even pansexual.
Google claims that the word “bisexual” is correlated to too much pornography, but that’s utter bullshit. The search “Gay Porn” has over 400 MILLION MORE results than “bisexual porn”, and the word gay is not blocked.
This is bi erasure. Plain and simple.
This still needs over 500 signatures. C’mon, people! I have over twice as many followers. It’ll just take a second of your time. Sign this very important petition and pass it along! It may not seem like a big deal but it really is. Read more about the repercussions of this block here.